Welcome to this magical portal where the hurried jottings from my quickquill are randomly published.

Friday, 31 October 2008

Gryffindor House Assignment No.4

Well, here is the homework that was set by our dear prefect, Millicent Brocklehurst, known more familiarly as CentyB... 1. Name your favorite magical creature, and describe why it is your favorite. My favourite magical creature is the Unicorn. I have always been fascinated by this creature which in the muggle world is considered to be mythical. I have from the early days of my marriage to the wonderful Mr Wychwood been blessed by him with lovely unicorn gifts, including some miniatures which my little witch has decided to display in her bedroom. It is the mystery of the unicorn that attracts me so much, they are so beautiful, shy and yet powerful, and simply noble in their bearing. I love the scenes with the unicorns in the film Legend, although it breaks my heart that one is killed for its horn, a parallel with the muggle world in which Rhino's are in danger of extinction because their horns are so prized. Here is a picture which shows how beautiful and mysterious unicorns are... 2. Tell us your favorite charm, spell or curse, and explain why you like it. My favourite spell is Apparition. It is such a time-saving thing to be able to just magically move myself from one place to another, no matter the distance involved. I find it so frustrating in the muggle world taking hours to travel between family, friends, and places of work using trains, planes and automobiles. I confess that I sometimes cheat and use apparition because I am simply too impatient to bother with muggle transport. This of course forces me into using memory erasing charms to prevent my muggle colleagues from twigging that I am using magic to get from one end of the country to the other instantly! 3. Describe your favorite holiday family tradition - which holiday and what makes it special. This has to be Christmas, and the flaming of the Xmas pudding. As a child, my Dad always did this for us, before it was served with Mum's wonderful rum custard. Now we all have Xmas dinner at my dear sister Emma's house, where she and I use the traditional method of heating brandy on a spoon, lighting it and pouring it over the pudding, which is then all aflame. The children love watching the blue flames flicker, and of course rush to turn off the lights for this magical treat. 4. Name your favorite fiber-based (knitted, crocheted, or spun) finished object. I love the socks that I knit using the yarn sent to my by Queen Frysia. They were my first pair using the magic loop technique, and the yarn was simply gorgeous, not only in softness and colour combination, but also because it smells divine. The pattern was a toe-up one, and I finished it off with a lace border and picot edge, based on the one designed by Emma in the Luna's Moonlight socks. In fact I love them so much that I am wearing them as I finish this homework! And now, it is high time I carried on knitting Eugene's bag, must dash...!!!

No comments: