Welcome to this magical portal where the hurried jottings from my quickquill are randomly published.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

Care of Magical Creatures Homework

There is quite an extensive homework this week, in three parts.  Gulp!  Well, here goes...

Part One: Please Describe and Explain 5 items that you would use for the care of Magical Creatures. ie: mittens for handling of poisonous plants, goggles etc.

I am fascinated by the Ashwinder, a thin grey serpent that is created when a magical fire is allowed to burn unchecked for too long.  They only live for an hour in which time they find somewhere secluded to lay eggs, which are brilliant red and give off intense heat.  The eggs will ignite a dwelling within minutes if not found and frozen.  But these eggs are very valuable for their use in love potions, and as a cure for ague.

So all of my items relate to this slippery creature...

Firstly, a heat resistant spring loaded ashwinder egg handling instrument - also used in brewing tea...


Secondly, a heat proof dish to place the eggs in...
Thirdly, an ice block to keep the eggs frozen...

Fourthly, a smoke detector to give early warning of fires caused by undiscovered eggs...


Lastly, a fire blanket to extinguish the fires caused by undiscovered eggs and enable their collection...


Part Two: Complete the following quiz about House Elves. 5 points for each correct answer.

1. Please describe the physical appearance of a house elf.
Short, with ears/arms/legs that are long in proportion to it's body. 

2. Kreacher is the house elf of which wizarding family?
The Black's.

3. What is Hermione Granger making for the house elves?
Hats and socks.

4. How do you free a house elf?
Give it an item of clothing.

5. What does S.P.E.W. stand for?
Society for Promotion of Elvish Welfare.

Part Three: Bonus/Extra Credit assignment. For a bonus assignment, knit or crochet a SPEW project.

I've knit up the hat which was the pattern set for Round 1 of Dueling Club this term.  I also made some matching mitts, but have mislaid them - I think I may have left them in the Great Hall as I was making them during my lunch breaks this week!

And now it is very late, and I am yawning, so off to bed for me. Must dash!!!

1 comment:

Hermione Bagnold said...

What warm colors in that S.P.E.W. hat! Love it!