Welcome to this magical portal where the hurried jottings from my quickquill are randomly published.

Thursday, 29 January 2009

Arithmancy

I have been set the task of writing an opinion essay on the importance of arithmancy to students at Hogwarts. Well, clearly the Professors believe this to be vital, because I also had to make a project in the Knitting & Crochet House Cup using my own arithmancy numbers. As an added twist, I was meant to use colours with the corresponding numbers. Having learned how to make a flat circle during the making up of my golden snitch, I applied the technique to this project. My character number is 5 and so I crocheted 5 rounds in cerise, finishing with 5 stitches in each repeat. My heart number is 8 and so I continued in cornflower to the 8th round, which has 8 stitches in each repeat. My social number is 6, and so I finished with a single round in cyan for the 6 pattern repeats that rule throughout the project. The finished item is a mini-coaster, suitable for a little girls teaset. My little witch will use it during her divination practice (she is of an age that most fervently believes in the tooth fairy, Father Christmas, and under-bed monsters!) And what do these numbers say about me? Absolute twaddle! Let's face it, this is just a ruse to get the students at Hogwarts interested in numbers and their use in magic. I don't believe any of the mumbo jumbo that they are supposed to mean, and my beloved parents would be horrified to think that I was being asked to read any significance into the name they gave me, as they have always taught me that I can shape my own life through the grace of God, that I am responsible for the attitudes and beliefs I hold about myself, and not some pre-destined plan that I have no control over. So, Professors, I say "poop", lets use numbers much more creatively than this. Let us instead use them to count the blessings that we have in life, to tally the achievements that we hold most dear, and to measure the worth of our contribution to this wonderfulfully magical world. And so, essay complete, I must now clean up the tea leaves that my little witch has read great import from, she has much to learn! Must dash...!!!

1 comment:

CentyB said...

I loved reading about your Arithmancy assignment!