Welcome to this magical portal where the hurried jottings from my quickquill are randomly published.

Thursday, 14 October 2010

Fragile hearts

I now understand much more deeply the pain associated with the death of a loved one, having lost my dear father a week ago today, suddenly taken from us by heart failure.  He was simply the most wonderful Dad, always there when I needed him with a kind word, a clever idea, a day of childcare, a listening ear, a loving hug.  I shall miss him terribly and am already coming across things that make me think "Dad would have loved that". 

My family are busy sorting through our parents house to clear out my Dad's clothes and other unneeded stuff so that my Mum is spared that pain, and we have found so many photos as my father was an amateur photographer - he had a dark room in the cellar where he used to develop his pictures many years ago.  Every now and again we find a picture that sparks happy memories, now tinged with sadness that the photographer will not take another. 

I also understand the desire for a Resurrection Stone - I dearly wish I could have my Dad back.  I cried last night and my wonderful little wizard (7 years old) said "it's alright Mummy, you will always have Grandad in your heart, and when you die you will be with him again", then I cried even more because I was so moved by the loving wisdom of my son, who has the same giving spirit as my Dad.  So my heart may be fragile right now, but it carries a precious treasure - the memory of my wonderful Dad.

1 comment:

Amethyst said...

Lizzie, I was so sorry to hear about your dad. After reading your blog entry, and your sisters, it sounds like your dad was a wonderful, loving and well-loved man. He sounds like someone I would have liked to meet. Ame