Welcome to this magical portal where the hurried jottings from my quickquill are randomly published.

Friday, 23 October 2009

Where in the World is Winnie?

We've had another intriguing postcard from our absent headmistress Professor Winifred Wartbobble.  She certainly is getting around the world at breakneck speed, I'm guessing she must be using a combination of portkeys, apparition, floo powder and good old broomwork. 

Anyway, she talked about being in a place with sheep and near a castle, where it is spring now.  There was a picture of a beautiful castle on her postcard, which looked to me to be this one, which is Larnach Castle near Dunedin in New Zealand.



She followed this up by saying she wanted to pop into a place to buy Maple Syrup, there being a factory in a town situated by a lake bordering Quebec, and that this town was formerly 3 towns.  It's taken me a while to track this one down, but I am now fairly certain that she is referring to Stanstead, Quebec.  This town was created in 1995 by the merger of the former towns of Stanstead Plain, Rock Island and Beebe Plain, and maple syrup is harvested throughout the region in which it is situated.

So those are my guesses - Dunedin, New Zealand and Stanstead in Quebec province, Canada.

Well, I'd better get on with pulling together items for Amethyst's package, so I must fly.  Accio Broom!!!

No comments: