Saturday, 14 March 2009
Gryffindor Arithmancy Assignment
It would seem that some of our Gryffindor students this term have been struggling with their Arithmancy assignment. It takes me back to the days when I grappled with calculus and algebra, and was so utterly dismayed when I discovered my answer was wrong.
I actually love mathematical challenges, so it always a surprise to me when I come across people who don't, and especially witches who knit! One of the things that I find so satisfying about knitting is how much it relies on numbers - how many to cast on, how many stitches in the pattern way, how many rows, how many yards of yarn you need, the gauge, the needle size...
This week I have had a great time knitting a pair of socks for my little wizard, to finish off the yarn I used in my own Belle Epoque socks. Not knowing how far the yarn would go, I went for knitting 2 at a time toe-up socks. This time I experimented with gusset increases to create extra room around the ankle/heel given the last pair I knitted were a little tight with just a short row heel. I had to work out how to decrease again from the bottom of the heel up to the leg whilst creating an appropriate heel shape. I loved the stitch pattern though, a simple K3P2 rib, with every sixth row being YO/SL1/K2TOG/PSSO/YO/P2, which creates a wonderful crocodile skin like effect. Here are the finished socks modelled by my very appreciative little wizard...
And now I am itching to do some more knitting, must dash...!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I LOVE them! Such beautiful colors!!!
do you think these socks could be loved by an adult wizard as well? i am thinking of knitting these for my dad.
Post a Comment