Welcome to this magical portal where the hurried jottings from my quickquill are randomly published.

Monday, 31 August 2009

HLBOES Herbology

My favourite muggle plant is English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia). Here is a picture of one of the many shrubs I have growing in my garden. I love it for the colour which varies between pale blue as here and pinkish purple. I also love it for the aroma, which is heavenly. Indeed, muggles have perfected the art of harvesting the flower heads to use in all manner of ways. Oil can be distilled from them to use in perfumes and toiletries, and massage oil. It is also reputed to be an effective antiseptic, and I myself used it in the nappy soaker when my children were babies. The flower heads themselves can be dried to use in pot pourri, or to fill scented sachets such as wardrobe hangers to repel moths. The smell can be refreshed by simply crushing the flower heads together, and so the sachets are useful for years. Every September I harvest the flower heads from my shrubs to dry and use in handmade items for my home and as gifts. And it just so happens that I have a wardrobe hanger on the needles right now which I really want to finish tonight, must dash...!!!

No comments: